This is the opening shot to the episode, setting the location and mystery the episode will follow.
- Ext shot, hill with trees, panning down hill
- Follows straight from one, shot up river with buildings in the background, camera pans down into 3
- Camera pans down into final position
- Camera onto body lying on slab stones/concrete, hold for a few seconds, let music well up and smash cut into next frame
*All p/in/p videos fade in and out*
Half profile shots of the two leads of the episode (a police investigator and the leader/ sub-boss of the biker gang suspected of the murder. Beside each are small videos showing actions of the upcoming episode to give a brief insight to the characters.)
- Shot of character getting out of car and talking to colleague
- Shot of character arresting/interviewing someone
- Shot of character room clearing/searching for clues
- Shot of character in a bar with drink (maybe a smoke too)
- Shot of character preparing chain/knife/knuckle duster
- Shot of character flexing with leather/denim vest on
Main title card for the episode, pic 1 is independent, while 2 and 3 are together.
- Black background, title fades in, followed shortly by episode title
- Series title fades in as a snowstorm starts to pick up (going from upper left to lower right), flows into pic 3.
- White background with vignette around border, episode title fades in black letters (possibly with episode count underneath)
I have a new project to complete for my university course, called ‘Winter is Coming.’
The aim of this project is to create an opening title for a fictional anthology series called ‘Winter is Coming,’ with each of us creating a basic outline for an episode and constructing the opening title sequence around that.
Below you will find some preliminary notes I made about the project.
Winter is Coming opening credits
- Nordic/Gaelic/Welsh noir inspired
- Typically from the perspective of the police (most commonly dealing with murder)
- Sometimes deal with corruption of government
- Slow burn tension and drama
- Opening title to be 60-90 seconds long
- Can either be an opening scene with credits or more traditional opening credits (like a montage)
- Winter is Coming- anthology series style
Episode style/story notes-
- Cops vs bikers (Ragnarök, name for Biker Gang)
- Corrupt local government official funding bikers (either through drugs or weapons)
- Police pick up the trail after a body is found, suspected be a gang killing
- Bikers preparing for a war with other gangs
Opening credits content notes-
- Opening shot of dead body central to plot
- Majority of credits are a close up of the two leads (separately) faces, half on show, over a black background while short clips from the episode fade in and out beside them
- Leads= lead investigator and biker gang leader
- Clips showcase the characters personalities through actions (such as arrests for the cop and beating someone for the gang leader)
- End of credits feature the series title (Winter is Coming) and the episode title (Ragnarök) as a subtitle.
- Alternative: Main title comes up, a “snowstorm” covers it over in white and replaces it with Ragnarök.